New Jersey News
Female Clifton teacher accused of sex with student
CLIFTON (WABC) -- A high school teacher in Clifton, New Jersey, is under arrest, accused of having a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old student.
Prosecutors say it all started with texting between 26-year-old social studies teacher, Kristin Leone and her 16-year-old, male student. They say that led to sexual contact right in a classroom after school and then alleged intercourse at the teacher's home.
"Certainly, the relationship developed over these text messages," Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes said. "While there is no evidence that she coerced him or she forced him physically, legally he cannot consent."
It's not this school's first sex scandal. In fact, taking to Twitter today, one from Clifton tweeted, "let's see what happens next year."
Still, given that texting allegedly fostered Leone's relationship with her student had parents and students reconsidering how they should use all types of social media.
"Internet, Twitter, Facebook - it's all that. If there wasn't any of that, this would've never happened," Clifton High School senior Hilwa Abdallah said.
In a letter to parents, Clifton's superintendent praised both a student and teacher for coming forward about what allegedly went on. "It was courageous of them to risk the backlash that sometimes occurs when reporting information of this nature," the superintendent wrote.
Leone is charged with sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child, criminal sexual contact, luring and enticing a child and official misconduct.
She was released on $100,000 bail.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, clifton, teacher arrested, new jersey news, stacey sager
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall