New Jersey News
Burglars strike same place twice in Newark
NEWARK, NJ (WABC) -- Burglars have hit the same business for a second time in three weeks, and the angry owner wants to know: where were the police?
Both incidents were caught on camera.
The burglar cuts the lock, rolls up the steel security gate, and then spends the next 90 minutes breaking-in, returning several times before the lock is finally picked.
He charges through the front door and starts stuffing his bag with everything he can get his hands on - Cell phones, batteries, chargers, headphones and fistfuls of cash.
The alarm goes off, but it apparently means little. The burglar will have at least five more minutes before the Newark police arrive to investigate.
Ben Rafeh says he understood the first time, but when it happened again last night, he was furious.
This thief cut the internet and telephone lines, busted through the back wall and got to work. This time, the burglar even took Ben's licensed 9mm handgun in addition to everything else.
Ben says officers told him that there are just three overnight patrol cars in this sector of the city. The police, he says, are investigating and very apologetic.
"Sorry doesn't pay my bills," he said.
A Newark police spokesman insisted that budget cuts have not affected the city's level of policing and the break-ins are simply crimes of opportunity.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, crime, burglary, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 53 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages 57 min ago
- Bill de Blasio to make big announcement Thursday 21 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction 39 min ago
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train...
53 min ago
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher...
57 min ago