New Jersey News
No charges filed against cops in fatal police shooting
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Outraged family members met with a New Jersey prosecutor Friday after a grand jury declined to file charges in a fatal police shooting in New Brunswick.
Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan announced Thursday the panel decided not to indict police officers Brad Berdel and Daniel Mazan in the shooting death of 46-year-old Barry Deloatch.
Prosecutors say Deloatch ran off Sept. 22, 2011, after the officers approached him and two other men. A subsequent chase ended with Berdel shooting Deloatch.
Officials say Deloatch threatened the officers with a board. The family says he was unarmed.
Deloatch's sons say they're devastated.
Kaplan says the grand jury met for 11 consecutive weeks, heard 57 witnesses, and reviewed 280 exhibits.
Kaplan says the case will undergo an administrative review by the police department.
A lawyer for the family says Kaplan hasn't assured them that steps have been taken to prevent similar incidents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new brunswick, police shooting, new jersey news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 26 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
59 min ago