New Jersey News
Newark Airport supervisor charged with ID theft
NEWARK, New Jersey (WABC) -- A longtime security supervisor at Newark Liberty International Airport is under arrest, accused of stealing the identity of a man who was murdered 20 year ago.
Now the 54-year-old illegal immigrant, who had access to secure airport areas, will face a judge.
Authorities say Bimbo Oyeowole illegally came to the United States from Nigeria, apparently to stay in the country and to find work. Then he allegedly stole the identity of a man who was murdered in Queens in 1992.
That same year, using the stolen name Jerry Thomas, Oyewole got a job as a security guard at the airport. He was later promoted to supervisor. His arrest came on the same day as a critical federal report on security breaches at Newark Liberty.
"The report identifies a gaping hole in our airport security system," New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg said. "Terrorists are still determined to exploit aviation security gaps in order to attack America."
An anonymous tip led authorities to Oyewole, who was arrested at his home in Elizabeth. It wasn't immediately known how Thomas' personal information was acquired. Officials say there's no evidence he was a terrorist. As for the real Jerry Thomas, his murder remains unsolved.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark liberty international airport, id theft, identity theft, new jersey news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 31 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 32 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
47 min ago