New Jersey News
Officers charged for allegedly ignoring deadly crash
PATERSON -- Prosecutors have charged two members of Paterson's Office of Emergency Management with official misconduct in connection with their response to a fatal motorcycle accident.
The Passaic County Prosecutor Office said Thursday that Juan Martinez, 30, of Paterson, and Jonathan Lopez, 29, of Hackensack, have been arrested on several charges.
Prosecutors say the two men, both auxiliary police officers, were driving an OEM vehicle in Paterson on April 17 and following behind a motorcycle at a distance of 100 feet or less while improperly activating the siren.
Prosecutors allege that Martinez and Lopez then witnessed the motorcycle crash and did not stop to render aid or contact police or their superiors.
The driver of the motorcycle, 31-year-old Randolph Waddy of Paterson, died from his injuries.
Waddy's family has hired a lawyer and is considering a lawsuit.
They believe the officers struck Waddy, though prosecutors say they have no evidence of that.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, police officer arrested, new jersey news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos