New Jersey News
Officers charged for allegedly ignoring deadly crash
PATERSON -- Prosecutors have charged two members of Paterson's Office of Emergency Management with official misconduct in connection with their response to a fatal motorcycle accident.
The Passaic County Prosecutor Office said Thursday that Juan Martinez, 30, of Paterson, and Jonathan Lopez, 29, of Hackensack, have been arrested on several charges.
Prosecutors say the two men, both auxiliary police officers, were driving an OEM vehicle in Paterson on April 17 and following behind a motorcycle at a distance of 100 feet or less while improperly activating the siren.
Prosecutors allege that Martinez and Lopez then witnessed the motorcycle crash and did not stop to render aid or contact police or their superiors.
The driver of the motorcycle, 31-year-old Randolph Waddy of Paterson, died from his injuries.
Waddy's family has hired a lawyer and is considering a lawsuit.
They believe the officers struck Waddy, though prosecutors say they have no evidence of that.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, police officer arrested, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 17 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 20 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos