New Jersey News
Lodi boy, 6, dies after being hit by pole in backyard
LODI (WABC) -- A young boy in New Jersey was killed when he was struck by a large metal pole on Thursday.
Police say two brothers, reported to be ages 6 and 11, were playing in a backyard on Walnut Place in Lodi when the rusty pole collapsed and fell on top of them around 7 p.m.
The 6-year-old boy was rushed to Hackensack University Medical Center suffering from traumatic arrest, in which a severe chest injury causes the heart to stop beating. He later died at the hospital.
The 11-year-old boy suffered an injured leg and remains hospitalized.
According to neighbors, the kids were playing on a clothesline. They apparently threw a scooter over the line and were hanging on it when the pole holding the clothesline snapped. The pole weighs several hundred pounds.
The parents were home at the time. Police believe the incident was a tragic accident, and no charges are expected to be filed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, lodi, child injured, new jersey news
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 33 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 15 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 13 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick...
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos