New Jersey News
Police to beef up security around Prudential Center
NEWARK -- Newark police say they'll be increasing security around the Prudential Center and are trying to reassure the public that the area is safe for the upcoming hockey playoffs following a spate of violent assaults that took place after a concert last week.
Police Director Samuel DeMaio says police have made more than a dozen arrests of juveniles and young adults for strong-arm robberies and assaults in Newark's downtown area since the post-concert assaults.
Earlier this week, in an apparently unrelated incident, two off-duty detention officers were shot, one fatally, outside a bar near the Prudential Center.
The Eastern Conference Finals between the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers will take place at the arena on Saturday and Monday.
City officials insist the recent incidents are isolated.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york rangers, new jersey devils, new jersey news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's 44 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 24 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case 17 min ago
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 43 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 41 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
43 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos