New Jersey News
Police to beef up security around Prudential Center
NEWARK -- Newark police say they'll be increasing security around the Prudential Center and are trying to reassure the public that the area is safe for the upcoming hockey playoffs following a spate of violent assaults that took place after a concert last week.
Police Director Samuel DeMaio says police have made more than a dozen arrests of juveniles and young adults for strong-arm robberies and assaults in Newark's downtown area since the post-concert assaults.
Earlier this week, in an apparently unrelated incident, two off-duty detention officers were shot, one fatally, outside a bar near the Prudential Center.
The Eastern Conference Finals between the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers will take place at the arena on Saturday and Monday.
City officials insist the recent incidents are isolated.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york rangers, new jersey devils, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 51 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 25 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 13 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
13 min ago