New Jersey News
Police to beef up security around Prudential Center
NEWARK -- Newark police say they'll be increasing security around the Prudential Center and are trying to reassure the public that the area is safe for the upcoming hockey playoffs following a spate of violent assaults that took place after a concert last week.
Police Director Samuel DeMaio says police have made more than a dozen arrests of juveniles and young adults for strong-arm robberies and assaults in Newark's downtown area since the post-concert assaults.
Earlier this week, in an apparently unrelated incident, two off-duty detention officers were shot, one fatally, outside a bar near the Prudential Center.
The Eastern Conference Finals between the New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers will take place at the arena on Saturday and Monday.
City officials insist the recent incidents are isolated.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york rangers, new jersey devils, new jersey news
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack on Lower East Side
- Brooklyn school officials face discipline for not reporting...
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog 3 min ago
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors 42 min ago
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos