New Jersey News
Dad saves son, but gets ticketed
WINFIELD PARK (WABC) -- Frank Roder saw his 5-year old son running toward a steep embankment and was afraid he would slip into the Rahway River. Frank managed to save his son from a dangerous fall, but his troubles were only beginning.
"I thought he was going to beeline over there and into the water," Roder said.
Roder had just taught his 5-year old son Aidan how to unbuckle his own seatbelt and get out of the car himself. Aidan took the lesson to heart last Thursday, when he hopped out of his Dad's car when he was trying to decide on a parking spot. Aidan headed for the Rahway River, where the two had planned to skip rocks and look for ducks.
"I panicked and grabbed the windshield washer thing and thought it was the gear for park and here we are," he said.
In Roder's panic over Aidan's safety, he had left the car in drive. When he caught up with his son, Aidan had a strange look on his face and said:
"Uh Daddy. The jeep is falling down the hill," Aidan said.
The SUV was still in drive so it rolled into the Rahway River, Roder was grateful there weren't any fisherman by the shore
When Union County police showed up to the park and saw the Jeep in the water, Roder expected they'd help him out. But first, he was issued two tickets-- one for failing to use the emergency brake and another for failing to produce his insurance card. The card was soaked, locked in the waterlogged truck.
"If you're a father, you're going to grab your kid. Your car can roll off wherever," Roder said.
Roder wonders if the officers could have been more understanding, that he was only trying to save his son. Roder is grateful for his safety, and for the decision he made that morning not to take his newborn baby Joel with him on the trip because he could have been trapped inside the car.
A spokesman for Union County police says the officer was following protocol and that it's too late to take back the tickets once they're written. Frank will have to fight the $110 in fines in court.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, winfield park, accident, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 47 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 30 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 17 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 10 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
30 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
5 min ago