New Jersey News
Grenade-shaped screwdriver found in Newark luggage
NEWARK (WABC) -- There was a brief scare at Newark Liberty International Airport Thursday after a grenade-shaped object set off security alarms.
A piece of checked baggage passing through the TSA screening process appeared to contain a hand grenade, and TSA explosives experts were called to take a closer look.
Upon closer inspection, it was determined that the item was actually a replica hand grenade screwdriver set that a passenger had packed in his bag.
TSA officials say while it was an interesting novelty item, it was also something that understandably would catch the attention of officers who are constantly on the lookout for explosive devices.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark liberty international airport, bomb scare, new jersey news
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case 11 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- UPS facility fire damages packages on Long Island 16 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 2 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- World Cup teams hoping for luck of the draw
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
2 min ago