New Jersey News
Hitting the beach for the holiday weekend
PLEASANT BEACH (WABC) -- The summer season officially kicks off this weekend, and many people are using the three-day holiday as a reason to take a trip to the beach despite the high cost of gas.
All along the Garden State Parkway, the price of gas has come down a bit. Still high, but People are filling up and getting ready for the long holiday weekend.
Pat and Steve Ruggiero were filling up and heading to Atlantic City, staying closer to home like many in this economy.
"A lot of people can't afford it and are having trouble. A lot of people are staying close to home," Steve Ruggiero said.
Like Steven Grater. He's been on the beach all day, but it's a once a year thing for him. His house flooded during Hurricane Irene, and it's been tough.
"We are doing the best we can, having fun and squeezing whatever we can out of the rest o the year," Grater said.
Businesses all along the Jersey Shore hear what Steven Is saying, so they are offering deals.
"We're doing our part offering deals where we can so it makes it easier to bring the family down," Marilu Halverson, Jenkinson's Boardwalk, said.
If you are still looking for a rental, Paul Ward of Ward Realty says he still has some great deals too, like a 3 bedroom cottage, feet from the ocean, for $1750 a week.
"What we are seeing is people coming through our door sick and tired of being sick and tired, looking do the best deal they can find," Ward said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, pleasant beach, jersey shore, summer, memorial day, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 6 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos