New Jersey News
Police investigate car fires in Englewood
ENGLEWOOD, N.J. (WABC) -- A row of cars went up in flames early Sunday morning in Englewood, New Jersey.
Now police and the cars' owners are trying to find out how it happened and who is responsible.
At least five cars were burned out in the suspicious fires that broke out at about 3 a.m.
It happened along West Palisade Avenue.
"My neighbor woke me around 3 o'clock and said she heard some noises, like some popping sounds," said resident Kenneth Walker.
"She looked out the window and my car was on fire."
Walker woke up to see his 1986 Fiero burned out.
"I loved that car, it was in really good shape," he said. "It only had 73,000 miles on it, for a 25-year old car."
One witness overheard investigators saying that someone may have driven down West Palisade Avenue and thrown incendiary devices at the cars.
Two hours after the cars were ablaze, families ran for cover when flames broke out at a house.
"I was sleeping when someone sudden came in running and they yelled out there's a fire in the house and we all ran outside," said resident Jose Rengifo.
Investigators believe the house fire was set at the same time as the car fires, but smoldered for a couple of hours before the flames started.
Investigators from the Bergen County Sheriff's officers and the Englewood Police Department have been on the scene.
The city's Memorial Day Parade is set for Monday and will not be affected by the investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, englewood, arson, automobile, fire, new jersey news, darla miles
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos