New Jersey News
Search for missing swimmer in Long Branch
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- A swimmer went missing off Long Branch Beach on Sunday.
A 17-year-old male, was swimming in the water off Ocean Avenue and Melrose Terrace when he was pulled under. He was reported missing at around 5:45 p.m. on Sunday.
His family saw him go under, but not come back up. That is when they sounded the alarm and went into panic mode.
Multiple dive teams were in the water, and State Police and Coast Guard helicopters searched from up above.
The searches lasted for several hours, well past the last of the last of the sun. Eventually divers and rescue workers pulled from the water. It was simply too dark the waves too choppy.
The Coast Guard said that a crew will remain at the scene overnight and the search will resume at sunrise.
There were no reports of unusual rip tides or anything that would shut down the beach. Life guards were off duty at the time.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news, lucy yang
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 11 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 40 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos