New Jersey News
Search for missing swimmer in Long Branch
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- A swimmer went missing off Long Branch Beach on Sunday.
A 17-year-old male, was swimming in the water off Ocean Avenue and Melrose Terrace when he was pulled under. He was reported missing at around 5:45 p.m. on Sunday.
His family saw him go under, but not come back up. That is when they sounded the alarm and went into panic mode.
Multiple dive teams were in the water, and State Police and Coast Guard helicopters searched from up above.
The searches lasted for several hours, well past the last of the last of the sun. Eventually divers and rescue workers pulled from the water. It was simply too dark the waves too choppy.
The Coast Guard said that a crew will remain at the scene overnight and the search will resume at sunrise.
There were no reports of unusual rip tides or anything that would shut down the beach. Life guards were off duty at the time.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 10 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 5 min ago