New Jersey News
Hernandez reportedly confessed to Etan Patz murder in church
MOORESTOWN (WABC) -- Reverend George Bowen oversees Maranatha Christian Fellowship church in Moorestown, where Pedro attended in recent years, but stayed mostly quiet.
Bowen's wife Rosemary and daughter Becky were active, and are leaning very much now on their pastor for support.
Back in the 80s, not long after 6-year-old Etan Patz was killed, Pedro Hernandez moved to Camden, and attended St. Anthony DePadua Catholic Church. It was there, reports say, he confessed during a prayer meeting that he killed a child in New York.
Tomas Rivera, is said to have been present during that prayer group confession. Eyewitness News tried to speak with Rivera, but a woman who answered the door said rivera could not say anything to the media.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the NYPD is trying to track down anyone with knowledge of Hernandez's earlier confession.
The friars at St. Anthony's say the prayer group meeting happened long before they arrived, but some of the old members from that time still attend. They say confessions don't happen under those circumstances anymore.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, etan patz, pedro hernandez, new jersey news, toni yates
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Police investiate possible bias attack on Broadway
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
6 min ago