New Jersey News
Hernandez reportedly confessed to Etan Patz murder in church
MOORESTOWN (WABC) -- Reverend George Bowen oversees Maranatha Christian Fellowship church in Moorestown, where Pedro attended in recent years, but stayed mostly quiet.
Bowen's wife Rosemary and daughter Becky were active, and are leaning very much now on their pastor for support.
Back in the 80s, not long after 6-year-old Etan Patz was killed, Pedro Hernandez moved to Camden, and attended St. Anthony DePadua Catholic Church. It was there, reports say, he confessed during a prayer meeting that he killed a child in New York.
Tomas Rivera, is said to have been present during that prayer group confession. Eyewitness News tried to speak with Rivera, but a woman who answered the door said rivera could not say anything to the media.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the NYPD is trying to track down anyone with knowledge of Hernandez's earlier confession.
The friars at St. Anthony's say the prayer group meeting happened long before they arrived, but some of the old members from that time still attend. They say confessions don't happen under those circumstances anymore.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, etan patz, pedro hernandez, new jersey news, toni yates
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos