New Jersey News
Hernandez reportedly confessed to Etan Patz murder in church
MOORESTOWN (WABC) -- Reverend George Bowen oversees Maranatha Christian Fellowship church in Moorestown, where Pedro attended in recent years, but stayed mostly quiet.
Bowen's wife Rosemary and daughter Becky were active, and are leaning very much now on their pastor for support.
Back in the 80s, not long after 6-year-old Etan Patz was killed, Pedro Hernandez moved to Camden, and attended St. Anthony DePadua Catholic Church. It was there, reports say, he confessed during a prayer meeting that he killed a child in New York.
Tomas Rivera, is said to have been present during that prayer group confession. Eyewitness News tried to speak with Rivera, but a woman who answered the door said rivera could not say anything to the media.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the NYPD is trying to track down anyone with knowledge of Hernandez's earlier confession.
The friars at St. Anthony's say the prayer group meeting happened long before they arrived, but some of the old members from that time still attend. They say confessions don't happen under those circumstances anymore.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, etan patz, pedro hernandez, new jersey news, toni yates
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 9 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
3 min ago