New Jersey News
Sister of alleged Etan Patz killer says she went to cops
MOORESTOWN (WABC) -- The sister of Pedro Hernandez, who confessed last week to the 1979 killing of Etan Patz in New York City, now says she told police in the 1980s that her brother had killed a boy.
Norma Hernandez told ABC News that she went go to Camden police at some point to tell them of her brother's admission.
She also told The Star-Ledger that she did not have details about the killing but went to police about it in the 1980s. She says they did nothing at the time.
"This is the first we are learning of Ms. Hernandez's comments. Since this is an on-going homicide investigation, anything we do will be closely coordinated through the direction of the Camden County Prosecutor, Manhattan DA, and the NYPD," Camden Police Chief Scott Thomson said.
Norma Hernandez previously told The Associated Press that she would have turned her brother in if she'd had more information.
Hernandez has told police that he tossed out Etan's body with the trash near the SoHo bodega where the boy was killed in 1979.
The sanitation department is going through its records to see whether the trash could have been cleared by the city or a private hauler. The collection could have gone to the Fresh Kills landfill in Staten Island, but it could also have been incinerated or tossed in the ocean, which was a common practice at that time.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, etan patz, pedro hernandez, new jersey news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 38 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed 32 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
23 min ago