New Jersey News
Students charged in New Jersey teen's suicide
MORRIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. (WABC) -- Three students are accused of assaulting, robbing and threatening a 15-year-old student at Morristown High School who committed suicide, officials said.
According to investigators, Baldwin's death came after weeks of bullying. One of the defendants, a classmate, allegedly assaulted Baldwin at Morristown High School on March 6. The incident was captured on surveillance video. The defendant was suspended from school two days later.
"This case again underscores our need as a society to eradicate the bullying of our youth, as regrettable consequences such as this case are far too numerous to be anywhere near acceptable," Morris County Prosecutor Robert Bianchi said.
Authorities said the suspended student made numerous attempts to contact Baldwin to instruct him to tell school officials that the incident was a joke. The next day, Baldwin did tell the Dean of Students that the assault was a joke and the defendant was playing a prank on him.
On March 9, police say the defendant from the previous incident and two other teens met Baldwin at the Century 21 parking garage, where they threatened and robbed him, telling him it was punishment for the suspension over the March 6th incident.
The three teens were arrested two weeks later. Michael Conway, 19, was charged as an adult with making false statements to police. The other two defendants face robbery, theft, terroristic threats and related charges. They remain under house arrest, charged as juveniles.
Baldwin killed himself on March 28. More than 500 people turned out for his funeral. Baldwin was a champion bowler, and his family still displays his trophies in the window. He also loved skateboarding and animals.
The two students and Conway are not charged with bullying, but they are charged with crimes that under the state's new anti-bullying law fit the very definition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, suicide, new jersey news
- Metro North trains collide, 60 people injured
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- Vigil held for Hofstra shooting victim
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Woman, boyfriend found shot to death in NJ park
- Tarrytown remembers Hofstra shooting victim
- abcnews: Sole survivor of plane crash breaks silence
- Photos: Scandal Season 2 Finale
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos