New Jersey News
Lifeguards find body near where swimmer vanished
LONG BRANCH, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in a central New Jersey beach town say lifeguards have found a body in the water not far from where a teenage swimmer from Paterson disappeared nearly a week ago.
But Long Branch Township police say they haven't yet determined whether the body found Saturday is that of 17-year-old Rudy Mena, who was reported missing on May 27.
Friends told police he was swimming near Long Branch when a strong wave knocked him over.
He went under the water and didn't resurface.
Sgt. Frank Passantino tells the Asbury Park Press that police, fire, and emergency medical officials were called to the area where the body was found shortly after 3 p.m.
Passantino says the body has been turned over to the medical examiner for identification, and he expects more information to be released Sunday.
Mena was swimming in shallow water in Long Branch when a strong wave knocked him over.
A 14-hour search over 88 square nautical miles found no trace of the boy.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, monmouth county, drowning, new jersey news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 7 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto 17 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
7 min ago