New Jersey News
New Jersey soldier killed in combat in Afghanistan
JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- The Defense Department says a 22-year-old soldier from northern New Jersey was killed when his unit was attacked last weekend by enemy forces in Afghanistan.
Army Pfc. Leroy Deronde II and a second soldier from Denver were killed in the May 27 attack in the Chak-E Warkdak District.
The deaths were announced Saturday afternoon, but further details were not disclosed.
Officials say both soldiers were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment. 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss in Texas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, afghanistan, u.s. military, soldier killed, new jersey news
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension 53 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures