New Jersey News
Educational app maker sued over privacy concerns
NEWARK (WABC) -- New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa and the state Division of Consumer Affairs filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday against a mobile app developer they say is stealing personal information.
The lawsuit accuses 27x7digital, LLC, of using its educational games to collect personal information from children, then transmitting that information to a third-party company without notifying parents or obtaining their consent.
The lawsuit is the first filed as part of the division's ongoing initiative against Internet privacy violations and acts of cyber-fraud.
"Mobile devices can capture and transmit a wealth of personal information about users, including their identities and even their geographic location," Chiesa said. "When we find that companies are using this ability to transmit information about children without their parents' knowledge or consent, we will take immediate action."
27x7digital is the developer and operator of the "TeachMe" series of apps for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. The series includes "TeachMe: Toddler," "TeachMe: Kindergarten," "TeachMe: 1st Grade" and "TeachMe: 2nd Grade."
"We appreciate the educational component of these apps, but under no circumstances is it acceptable to transmit identifying information about toddlers or first and second graders without the informed consent of their parents," Consumer Affairs director Eric Kanefsky said.
The "TeachMe" apps are among the top-selling applications in the education category of The App Store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, apps, cyber crime, new jersey news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 15 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 13 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
2 min ago