New Jersey News
Educational app maker sued over privacy concerns
NEWARK (WABC) -- New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa and the state Division of Consumer Affairs filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday against a mobile app developer they say is stealing personal information.
The lawsuit accuses 27x7digital, LLC, of using its educational games to collect personal information from children, then transmitting that information to a third-party company without notifying parents or obtaining their consent.
The lawsuit is the first filed as part of the division's ongoing initiative against Internet privacy violations and acts of cyber-fraud.
"Mobile devices can capture and transmit a wealth of personal information about users, including their identities and even their geographic location," Chiesa said. "When we find that companies are using this ability to transmit information about children without their parents' knowledge or consent, we will take immediate action."
27x7digital is the developer and operator of the "TeachMe" series of apps for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. The series includes "TeachMe: Toddler," "TeachMe: Kindergarten," "TeachMe: 1st Grade" and "TeachMe: 2nd Grade."
"We appreciate the educational component of these apps, but under no circumstances is it acceptable to transmit identifying information about toddlers or first and second graders without the informed consent of their parents," Consumer Affairs director Eric Kanefsky said.
The "TeachMe" apps are among the top-selling applications in the education category of The App Store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, apps, cyber crime, new jersey news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 52 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 53 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 14 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 1 min ago
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos