New Jersey News
East Orange firefighter suffers serious injuries
EAST ORANGE (WABC) -- Officials in East Orange say Fire Captain John Anderson suffered more serious injuries fighting a fire on Wednesday night than previously thought.
Further diagnosis showed that he sustained multiple traumas and fractures. He is listed in serious condition in the ICU unit at UMDNJ Hospital in Newark. Officials said the 24-year veteran of the EOFD will undergo surgery later Thursday.
Anderson was on the top floor of the 2 1/2-story private home on Hawthorne Avenue when he fell from a landing, going through one floor and landing on the bottom floor.
When the accident happened, a mayday was declared and the firefighters evacuated the building. They were able to get Anderson out of the building safely.
The cause of the two alarm fire remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, east orange, fire, firefighter injured, new jersey news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene 17 min ago
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers