New Jersey News
East Orange firefighter suffers serious injuries
EAST ORANGE (WABC) -- Officials in East Orange say Fire Captain John Anderson suffered more serious injuries fighting a fire on Wednesday night than previously thought.
Further diagnosis showed that he sustained multiple traumas and fractures. He is listed in serious condition in the ICU unit at UMDNJ Hospital in Newark. Officials said the 24-year veteran of the EOFD will undergo surgery later Thursday.
Anderson was on the top floor of the 2 1/2-story private home on Hawthorne Avenue when he fell from a landing, going through one floor and landing on the bottom floor.
When the accident happened, a mayday was declared and the firefighters evacuated the building. They were able to get Anderson out of the building safely.
The cause of the two alarm fire remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, east orange, fire, firefighter injured, new jersey news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 53 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos