New Jersey News
East Orange firefighter suffers serious injuries
EAST ORANGE (WABC) -- Officials in East Orange say Fire Captain John Anderson suffered more serious injuries fighting a fire on Wednesday night than previously thought.
Further diagnosis showed that he sustained multiple traumas and fractures. He is listed in serious condition in the ICU unit at UMDNJ Hospital in Newark. Officials said the 24-year veteran of the EOFD will undergo surgery later Thursday.
Anderson was on the top floor of the 2 1/2-story private home on Hawthorne Avenue when he fell from a landing, going through one floor and landing on the bottom floor.
When the accident happened, a mayday was declared and the firefighters evacuated the building. They were able to get Anderson out of the building safely.
The cause of the two alarm fire remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, east orange, fire, firefighter injured, new jersey news
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 26 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 27 min ago
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos