New Jersey News
Caught on video: Wild storm disrupts graduation
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP -- Students at a southern New Jersey high school got diplomas and a soaking as a severe thunderstorm provided a dramatic ending to their graduation ceremony.
Storm clouds formed as the 437 Absegami High School Class of 2012 graduates gathered on the football field in Galloway Township Thursday evening. The stands were packed with relatives and friends.
Lightning punctuated the darkening sky along with the rumble of thunder. The sky opened up with rain and hail as the last of the diplomas were handed out.
Spectators and students made a dash for cover.
The National Weather Service says that it was not a funnel cloud that spectators saw, saying it appears it could have been a developing wall cloud below the base of a cloud that often forms tornados.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, storm, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 5 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House 33 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 45 min ago
- Budget bill heads to the Senate 27 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees