New Jersey News
Caught on video: Wild storm disrupts graduation
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP -- Students at a southern New Jersey high school got diplomas and a soaking as a severe thunderstorm provided a dramatic ending to their graduation ceremony.
Storm clouds formed as the 437 Absegami High School Class of 2012 graduates gathered on the football field in Galloway Township Thursday evening. The stands were packed with relatives and friends.
Lightning punctuated the darkening sky along with the rumble of thunder. The sky opened up with rain and hail as the last of the diplomas were handed out.
Spectators and students made a dash for cover.
The National Weather Service says that it was not a funnel cloud that spectators saw, saying it appears it could have been a developing wall cloud below the base of a cloud that often forms tornados.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, storm, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 12 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
12 min ago