New Jersey News
Police investigate death of teen who fell from cliff
FORT LEE (WABC) -- Authorities say a 16-year-old boy was killed when he fell from a cliff at Palisades Interstate Park in northern New Jersey.
Family members say the teen, John Graniello of Fort Lee, was with a 16-year-old Edgewater girl when he fell around 9:40 p.m. Friday.
The accident occurred in the park's Fort Lee section, just north of the George Washington Bridge.
The girl told authorities they had been walking in the area and that Graniello had fallen backward from the cliff.
Investigators say the teen fell after he went past a safety railing near the edge of the cliff.
Their rescue efforts were hampered by the remote location where the accident occurred and various hazards in the area.
The death is not considered suspicious, but remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, palisades park, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 1 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 53 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 58 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 39 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines