New Jersey News
Police investigate death of teen who fell from cliff
FORT LEE (WABC) -- Authorities say a 16-year-old boy was killed when he fell from a cliff at Palisades Interstate Park in northern New Jersey.
Family members say the teen, John Graniello of Fort Lee, was with a 16-year-old Edgewater girl when he fell around 9:40 p.m. Friday.
The accident occurred in the park's Fort Lee section, just north of the George Washington Bridge.
The girl told authorities they had been walking in the area and that Graniello had fallen backward from the cliff.
Investigators say the teen fell after he went past a safety railing near the edge of the cliff.
Their rescue efforts were hampered by the remote location where the accident occurred and various hazards in the area.
The death is not considered suspicious, but remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, palisades park, new jersey news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 38 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Photos: Suspect wanted in attempted rape and robbery
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas 8 min ago
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000 20 min ago
- Malaysia denies report that missing plane kept flying 26 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane