New Jersey News
Funeral for New Jersey soldier killed in Afghanistan
JERSEY CITY -- Funeral services have been held for a 22-year-old soldier from northern New Jersey who was killed when his unit was attacked last month by enemy forces in Afghanistan.
Dozens of people turned out Saturday morning at Holy Cross Cemetery in North Arlington to bid farewell to Army Pfc. LeRoy DeRonde III.
DeRonde, a lifetime resident of Jersey City, had joined the Army in 2011 to help support his family after his mother died.
Relatives say he became a model soldier and was promoted right after graduating from basic training.
DeRonde was one of two soldiers killed when their unit was attacked on May 27 in the Chak-E Wardak District.
His survivors include his father and his 17-year-old brother.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, afghanistan, soldier killed, u.s. military, new jersey news
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 30 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 36 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams