New Jersey News
Officer injured when car hits tree
MONTVILLE, N.J. -- Authorities say a northern New Jersey police officer suffered a serious hip injury when his cruiser struck a tree.
Montville Officer Louis Violante was on routine patrol when the accident occurred around 1 a.m. Sunday.
He was hospitalized in stable condition and was due to have surgery later Sunday, but his injury was not considered life-threatening.
The cause of the accident was not immediately clear, and the crash remained under investigation late Sunday morning.
Emergency crews responded to the scene after the 33-year-old reported the crash, using the police radio in his cruiser.
He was the only person in the vehicle at the time. Violante has served on the Montville force since 2004.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, morris county, officer injured, new jersey news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos