New Jersey News
Couple rescued in New Jersey after boat capsizes, sinks
TOMS RIVER, N.J. -- Emergency crews came to the rescue of a couple whose boat capsized and sank after it struck a log in waters off southern New Jersey this weekend.
Emergency crews came to the rescue of a couple whose boat capsized and sank after it struck a log in waters off southern New Jersey this weekend.
The couple was riding in a 27-foot recreational vessel when the accident occurred late Saturday night in Ocean County. Authorities say the Coast Guard received a distress call around 11:30 p.m. and dispatched a rescue boat from its Point Pleasant Beach station and a helicopter from the Atlantic City station.
Meanwhile, local emergency response crews also responded to the area to help with the rescue. Officials say the couple, whose names were not disclosed, treaded water for about a half-hour overall before some firefighters were able to pull them to safety early Sunday.
But neither person was injured.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ocean county, toms river, new jersey news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash