New Jersey News
Couple rescued in New Jersey after boat capsizes, sinks
TOMS RIVER, N.J. -- Emergency crews came to the rescue of a couple whose boat capsized and sank after it struck a log in waters off southern New Jersey this weekend.
Emergency crews came to the rescue of a couple whose boat capsized and sank after it struck a log in waters off southern New Jersey this weekend.
The couple was riding in a 27-foot recreational vessel when the accident occurred late Saturday night in Ocean County. Authorities say the Coast Guard received a distress call around 11:30 p.m. and dispatched a rescue boat from its Point Pleasant Beach station and a helicopter from the Atlantic City station.
Meanwhile, local emergency response crews also responded to the area to help with the rescue. Officials say the couple, whose names were not disclosed, treaded water for about a half-hour overall before some firefighters were able to pull them to safety early Sunday.
But neither person was injured.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ocean county, toms river, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 22 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall