New Jersey News
Point Pleasant Beach keeps midnight bar closing
POINT PLEASANT BEACH -- Bars in one of New Jersey's most popular beach towns will have to close at midnight starting in July.
The council in Point Pleasant Beach unexpectedly rejected an ordinance Tuesday night that would have let the bars remain open until 2 a.m. if they paid an extra fee to fund additional police patrols.
Residential neighborhoods have long complained of rowdy bar patrons returning to their cars in the early morning hours.
The borough and boardwalk bars tried unsuccessfully to negotiate a deal to help pay for added patrols to cut down on neighborhood disturbances. The bars had offered $800,000 over five years.
The bars and others have asked the state to void the midnight closing ordinance that the borough passed last month.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 50 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again 27 min ago
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released 38 min ago
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest 12 min ago
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse