New Jersey News
Former pastor convicted of sex assault
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- A former pastor of a Plainfield church faces up to 30 years in prison after a jury convicted him of sexually assaulting two girls.
Jurors in Elizabeth on Tuesday also found George Benbow guilty of child endangerment in four of five cases. The panel acquitted Benbow of sexually assaulting two other girls and attempting to sexually assault a third.
The girls, who ranged in ages between 9 and 13, were either campers, counselors or babysitters at Christian Fellowship Gospel Church. The girls testified the 59-year-old would have them sit on his lap and he would rub up against them.
Benbow founded the church in 1981. It closed after his arrest in 2008.
He's scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 31.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, plainfield, sex crime, new jersey news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida 15 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant 17 min ago
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers