New Jersey News
Ravi to go free Tuesday in Rutgers webcam case
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- The former Rutgers student convicted of using a webcam to spy on his roommate will likely be released from prison Tuesday after serving 20 days of a 30-day sentence.
Twenty-year-old Dharun Ravi reported to the Middlesex County Jail on May 31, even though he could have remained free while his case is appealed.
Warden Edmond Cicchi told The Associated Press on Friday that Ravi is in line to be released Tuesday, 20 days after he reported. Like other inmates with that length sentence, he began with five days of credits for good behavior and five for working. The warden said Ravi has not lost any of those credits.
Ravi's roommate, Tyler Clementi, committed suicide in September 2010, days after Ravi used a webcam to see - briefly - live streaming video of Clementi and another man kissing. Ravi was not charged with Clementi's death, A jury convicted Ravi in March of all 15 criminal counts he faced, including bias intimidation, for which he could have been given a 10-year prison sentence.
Last month, a judge said Ravi should have a shorter sentence in part because he did not commit violence.
Prosecutors are asking an appeals court for a longer sentence while Ravi is appealing his conviction.
Ravi's lawyers have told a judge that he will begin making monthly payments toward the more than $11,000 in fines and assessments he was ordered to pay as part of his sentence and will start serving 300 hours of community service.
If the sentence stands, Ravi also will have to check in with a probation officer for three years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, dharun ravi, rutgers university, cyber bullying, new jersey news
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey 46 min ago
- Paterson fire guts 3 buildings, displaces families
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners recalled
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos