New Jersey News
Another boat emergency hoax reported in New Jersey
CAPE MAY (WABC) -- Coast Guard officials have suspended a search off the southern New Jersey coast that began after the agency received a mysterious distress call on Sunday morning.
The apparent hoax came less than a week after the Coast Guard staged a massive search off Sandy Hook that was prompted by another distress call which was later labeled a hoax. That search took five hours and cost rescue agencies more than $300,000.
Officials say the latest search began late Sunday morning after a radio call went out stating "Mayday, mayday, is anyone there?" The caller apparently provided information about the vessel's location, but not precise coordinates.
A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched and searched an area about 12 miles off Cape May, but found no signs of a ship in distress. The search was suspended early Sunday afternoon On June 11, a man claiming to be aboard a yacht called the Blind Date triggered a massive search when he reported three people dead, nine injured and 21 abandoning ship after an explosion 20 miles off Sandy Hook. Officials believe the hoax originated on land in either New Jersey or Staten Island, N.Y.
The Coast Guard is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and prosecution in the June 11 incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, coast guard, new jersey news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 45 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze 45 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash 33 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
46 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex...
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
31 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
45 min ago