New Jersey News
Jersey City woman abducted, body found in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Regina Baker was a single mother of five who lived in a brick apartment building on Bidwell Avenue in Jersey City. That is, until late Saturday night, when police say she was violently abducted from the building and ended up dead.
The 27-year-old's body was found in Newark late Monday in the 400 block of South 15th Street behind a vacant townhouse two days after she was taken from her home.
"Tragic, it's devastating, she has five children," friend Kamisha Gordon said. "My heart bleeds for her children. No one is going to care for them as their mother did. It's awful."
Police say Baker was taken at gunpoint and was put in the trunk of a black car, according to people who live in the area.
Numerous sources tell Eyewitness News that the building's surveillance cameras recorded the violent kidnapping. Investigators also say that there were several witnesses.
Still, Baker's abduction wasn't reported to police until Sunday afternoon, a full 16 hours after her killers snatched her.
Tuesday night on Bidwell Avenue, a woman who didn't want to be identified offered several possible motives for the murder.
"She was in to gangbanging, she started a lot of confusion," the woman said. "She witnessed a murder in Newark and it caught up with her, too many stories."
Police have been interviewing individuals they call "persons of interest." So far there have been no arrests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, jersey city, abduction, body found, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- School bus overturns in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 33 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 52 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 30 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 34 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident 28 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
52 min ago