New Jersey News
Jersey City woman abducted, body found in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Regina Baker was a single mother of five who lived in a brick apartment building on Bidwell Avenue in Jersey City. That is, until late Saturday night, when police say she was violently abducted from the building and ended up dead.
The 27-year-old's body was found in Newark late Monday in the 400 block of South 15th Street behind a vacant townhouse two days after she was taken from her home.
"Tragic, it's devastating, she has five children," friend Kamisha Gordon said. "My heart bleeds for her children. No one is going to care for them as their mother did. It's awful."
Police say Baker was taken at gunpoint and was put in the trunk of a black car, according to people who live in the area.
Numerous sources tell Eyewitness News that the building's surveillance cameras recorded the violent kidnapping. Investigators also say that there were several witnesses.
Still, Baker's abduction wasn't reported to police until Sunday afternoon, a full 16 hours after her killers snatched her.
Tuesday night on Bidwell Avenue, a woman who didn't want to be identified offered several possible motives for the murder.
"She was in to gangbanging, she started a lot of confusion," the woman said. "She witnessed a murder in Newark and it caught up with her, too many stories."
Police have been interviewing individuals they call "persons of interest." So far there have been no arrests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, jersey city, abduction, body found, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park