New Jersey News
Jersey City woman abducted, body found in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Regina Baker was a single mother of five who lived in a brick apartment building on Bidwell Avenue in Jersey City. That is, until late Saturday night, when police say she was violently abducted from the building and ended up dead.
The 27-year-old's body was found in Newark late Monday in the 400 block of South 15th Street behind a vacant townhouse two days after she was taken from her home.
"Tragic, it's devastating, she has five children," friend Kamisha Gordon said. "My heart bleeds for her children. No one is going to care for them as their mother did. It's awful."
Police say Baker was taken at gunpoint and was put in the trunk of a black car, according to people who live in the area.
Numerous sources tell Eyewitness News that the building's surveillance cameras recorded the violent kidnapping. Investigators also say that there were several witnesses.
Still, Baker's abduction wasn't reported to police until Sunday afternoon, a full 16 hours after her killers snatched her.
Tuesday night on Bidwell Avenue, a woman who didn't want to be identified offered several possible motives for the murder.
"She was in to gangbanging, she started a lot of confusion," the woman said. "She witnessed a murder in Newark and it caught up with her, too many stories."
Police have been interviewing individuals they call "persons of interest." So far there have been no arrests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, jersey city, abduction, body found, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 2 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 35 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 5 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
35 min ago