New Jersey News
Swim suits not allowed on Asbury Park boardwalk
ASBURY PARK, N.J. (WABC) -- It's against the law to wear a swim suit on the boardwalk in Asbury Park.
Former Asbury Park Councilwoman Louise Murray, who wouldn't go on camera, asked city council to enforce an old dress-code for the boardwalk. It's a law that's still on the books after more than 40 years.
The ordinance says: "No person clad in bathing attire shall be on the boardwalk or the public walks adjacent thereto."
In other words, no swim suits. No bikinis. Violators could face up to a 2 thousand dollar fine, 90 days in jail, or community service.
"The law was enacted in 1958, which was the year before I was born," Asbury Park City Councilman Kevin Sanders said.
Councilman Sanders succeeded former Councilwoman Murray. Even though the law is still on the books, he calls it archaic.
"It was a total different time. We have changed so much. At one time, blacks couldn't go on the beach," he said.
Murray told The Star-Ledger of Newark she's worried allowing boardwalk bar and restaurant patrons to wear skimpy attire threatens Asbury's "classy" image.
Changing rooms that once were connected to the beach by tunnels and catwalks disappeared years ago.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, asbury park, ban, swim suit, bikini, new jersey news, toni yates
- Winter Weather Advisory 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 24 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 7 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
7 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
12 min ago