New Jersey News
Cops: Man kills wife in New Jersey murder-suicide
MAHWAH (WABC) -- Police are investigating an apparent murder-suicide in New Jersey Friday morning.
Authorities received a call just after 8 a.m. from a woman who said her elderly father had killer her mother and was about to kill himself. The woman, who lived nearby her parents' Mahwah home, reportedly gave police the garage door code.
A SWAT team responded to the Polo Lane home and found a woman inside with a gunshot wound to the head. In the backyard, they found a man suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
They were both rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, where they were pronounced dead around 10:40 a.m.
The identities of the deceased have been confirmed as 79-year-old Barbara Ellis and 82-year-old Harry Ellis.
"They were the nicest people you could ask for," neighbor Eric Boe said. "I can't believe it. I just found out about it myself...Just why? I can't imagine why it would happen."
The investigation is ongoing, and the motive remains unknown. Authorities say there was no prior history of domestic violence at the house. Officials were checking with the family to see if either parent may have had medical issues.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, mahwah, murder suicide, new jersey news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 54 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto 2 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos