New Jersey News
Cops: Man kills wife in New Jersey murder-suicide
MAHWAH (WABC) -- Police are investigating an apparent murder-suicide in New Jersey Friday morning.
Authorities received a call just after 8 a.m. from a woman who said her elderly father had killer her mother and was about to kill himself. The woman, who lived nearby her parents' Mahwah home, reportedly gave police the garage door code.
A SWAT team responded to the Polo Lane home and found a woman inside with a gunshot wound to the head. In the backyard, they found a man suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
They were both rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, where they were pronounced dead around 10:40 a.m.
The identities of the deceased have been confirmed as 79-year-old Barbara Ellis and 82-year-old Harry Ellis.
"They were the nicest people you could ask for," neighbor Eric Boe said. "I can't believe it. I just found out about it myself...Just why? I can't imagine why it would happen."
The investigation is ongoing, and the motive remains unknown. Authorities say there was no prior history of domestic violence at the house. Officials were checking with the family to see if either parent may have had medical issues.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, mahwah, murder suicide, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 18 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
23 min ago