New Jersey News
California trucker charged after GWB stop
FORT LEE -- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says its police caught a California truck driver who allegedly wrapped his license plates with duct tape in a bid to evade tolls.
Port Authority spokesman All Della Fave says 28-year-old Ashwin Kumar of Pittsburgh, California, faces theft of services and tampering with public records charges after being stopped early Sunday on the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee.
Della Fave said Port Authority Officer George Kwiecinski was in a building when he first noticed Kumar's truck. Kwiecinski initially thought the truck was disabled, but then realized Kumar was wrapping duct tape around his plates.
Kwiecinski then drove after the truck, stopping it shortly after it went through a toll plaza.
A telephone number for Kumar could not be located Sunday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 55 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 16 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos