New Jersey News
California trucker charged after GWB stop
FORT LEE -- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says its police caught a California truck driver who allegedly wrapped his license plates with duct tape in a bid to evade tolls.
Port Authority spokesman All Della Fave says 28-year-old Ashwin Kumar of Pittsburgh, California, faces theft of services and tampering with public records charges after being stopped early Sunday on the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee.
Della Fave said Port Authority Officer George Kwiecinski was in a building when he first noticed Kumar's truck. Kwiecinski initially thought the truck was disabled, but then realized Kumar was wrapping duct tape around his plates.
Kwiecinski then drove after the truck, stopping it shortly after it went through a toll plaza.
A telephone number for Kumar could not be located Sunday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island
- Snow coming down in New York City
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 52 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos