New Jersey News
California trucker charged after GWB stop
FORT LEE -- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says its police caught a California truck driver who allegedly wrapped his license plates with duct tape in a bid to evade tolls.
Port Authority spokesman All Della Fave says 28-year-old Ashwin Kumar of Pittsburgh, California, faces theft of services and tampering with public records charges after being stopped early Sunday on the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee.
Della Fave said Port Authority Officer George Kwiecinski was in a building when he first noticed Kumar's truck. Kwiecinski initially thought the truck was disabled, but then realized Kumar was wrapping duct tape around his plates.
Kwiecinski then drove after the truck, stopping it shortly after it went through a toll plaza.
A telephone number for Kumar could not be located Sunday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 26 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Queens trench rescue