New Jersey News
2 charged in deadly road rage crash
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- Investigators say two people are to blame for a road rage crash that killed a 63-year old woman in Washington Township.
What remained of the SUVs involved in the crash were scattered across the Garden State Parkway near Exit 168 in Washington Township. Police say at 11:00 Sunday 27-year old Thomas Vanderweit and 20-year old John Emili, were driving so aggressively, they collided and caused the death of a 63-year old woman.
"I don't know if it was male testosterone gone wild or what. He has a clean driving record. He doesn't drink, doesn't smoke. I don't know what happened," Joe Baeli said.
Baeli says Vanderweit, his stepson, works for PSE&G. He was driving his Chevy Blazer when police say Emili tried to pass him on the right in an exit lane.
The two men, who eyewitnesses say had been speeding, tailgating, and swerving from lane to lane, collided at a high rate of speed in a crash police are blaming on road rage.
Annetta Billingy, who was a passenger in Emili's Honda Pilot, was ejected and killed.
"We're devastated. His mother is devastated. Of course we feel bad. A life was lost," Baeli said.
No one answered the door outside Emili's family's home in New City. Police say Billingy was sitting in the backseat and was not wearing a seat belt. Both men are charged with vehicular homicide.
The two drivers were not injured in the crash. They will be arraigned at the Bergen County Courthouse later this week.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, garden state parkway, accident, new jersey news, jen maxfield
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor 47 min ago
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos