New Jersey News
Wharton State Forest fire in New Jersey contained
CAMDEN -- A forest fire that has consumed more than 200 acres in southern New Jersey has been contained.
A state environmental department spokesman tells The Press of Atlantic City that the fire in Wharton State Forest in Waterford is 100 percent contained.
Larry Ragonese says it will take several more days to clean up.
The fire was spotted Thursday afternoon in the forest along the border of Camden and Atlantic counties. Flames didn't threaten any structures and no injuries have been reported.
Ragonese says aerial surveillance of the forest has shown some areas that haven't been touched by the fire. He says fire officials likely will authorize a controlled burn of those areas to remove any fuel for the fire.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, new jersey news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 59 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- No remains found in latest Jimmy Hoffa search 20 min ago
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth 28 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies 14 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Bear the police dog 30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos