New Jersey News
Authorities probe fatal shooting of Newark cabbie
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police officers responding to a reported multi-vehicle accident in Newark soon discovered that a cab driver involved in the crash had been fatally shot.
But when and why the man was killed remained unclear.
Katherine Carter, a spokeswoman for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office, says the crash occurred around 5 a.m. Saturday on Mt. Prospect Avenue in the city's North Ward.
Police said they were initially called because a cab had hit several parked cars.
They discovered the driver, 49-year old Rochenel Guerrier, dead at the scene - shot at least four times.
The father of three from Irvington was driving his cab in the city's Fourth Ward.
Now his family is struggling to come to grips with his death.
"You took somebody from their kids and their wife," said the victim's daughter, Kerrine Guerrier. "A person with no conscience would do something like that."
Police say they are in the early stages of their investigation as they try and determine who shot Guerrier and why.
His family says he'd worked for the Family Service cab company for about six months, despite their concerns about his safety.
"My mom did warn him that she didn't want him doing that because so much crime was reported in Newark, but he said he would be fine," said Kerrine Guerrier. "He just took a risk and it cost him his life."
Investigators say they are still trying to pinpoint the exact time of Guerrier's death.
They're also hoping security cameras in the area might provide some clues.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cab drivers, murder, taxi, new jersey news, sandra bookman
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 38 min ago
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 35 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos