New Jersey News
Woman struck by lightning dies as storm cleanup continues
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- A woman who was struck by lightning has died and thousands are still without power as New Jersey continues to clean up following heavy thunderstorms that swept through the Garden State Saturday.
Authorities say 48-year-old Indira Tursunova, of New City, was hit by a lightning bolt wahile walking along the sea wall at Monmouth Beach Saturday. She was among a group of people rushing to leave the beach as the sky darkened.
A Monmouth Beach officer and others tried to revive Tursunova at the scene. She was rushed in critical condition to Monmouth Medical Center, where she died early Sunday.
Meanwhile, utility crews have whittled down the number of customers who lost electricity in th storms.
Jersey Central Power and Light says 1,183 homes and businesses remain with service Monday. Most are in Ocean and Monmouth counties.
Nearly 70,000 customers lost service when the severe storms hit Saturday night. The storms included lightning and strong winds gusts of more than 70 mph that knocked down numerous trees and power lines across the region.
The storms came just a week after similar storms hit in Atlantic and Cape May counties, knocking out power to more than 200,000 customers.
Saturday was a day of blistering heat that topped the 100-degree mark in some spots, and real-feel temperatues were as high as 115.
Cities and urban areas were under excessive heat warnings, while heat advisories were in place elsewhere.
The violent storms caused trees to crash down on homes, and dozens of cars were crushed and power lines toppled.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, heat wave, severe weather, storm damage, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt 43 min ago
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams