New Jersey News
17-year-old girl killed in Newark triple shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- A 17-year-old Brooklyn girl was killed and two other teenagers wounded in a triple shooting in New Jersey late Sunday.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the gunfire erupted in front of a bodega on South 14th Street in Newark around 9:30 p.m.
Laniay Griffin was killed, while a 15-year girl and a 16-year-old boy were wounded. Their names have not been released, but the boy's mother identified him as Jamar Robinson.
Police say it appears two suspects walked up to the victims while they sat on a stoop in front of the store and opened fire at close range.
Griffin was shot twice and collapsed near the scene.
The motive is unknown, and no arrests have been made.
Police are hoping a nearby surveillance camera caught the crime on tape.
There is a $5,000 reward being offered by the Essex County Sheriff's Crimestoppers Program.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, shooting, teen, new jersey news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 12 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 7 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 49 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos