New Jersey News
17-year-old girl killed in Newark triple shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- A 17-year-old Brooklyn girl was killed and two other teenagers wounded in a triple shooting in New Jersey late Sunday.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the gunfire erupted in front of a bodega on South 14th Street in Newark around 9:30 p.m.
Laniay Griffin was killed, while a 15-year girl and a 16-year-old boy were wounded. Their names have not been released, but the boy's mother identified him as Jamar Robinson.
Police say it appears two suspects walked up to the victims while they sat on a stoop in front of the store and opened fire at close range.
Griffin was shot twice and collapsed near the scene.
The motive is unknown, and no arrests have been made.
Police are hoping a nearby surveillance camera caught the crime on tape.
There is a $5,000 reward being offered by the Essex County Sheriff's Crimestoppers Program.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, shooting, teen, new jersey news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 35 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos