New Jersey News
17-year-old girl killed in Newark triple shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- A 17-year-old Brooklyn girl was killed and two other teenagers wounded in a triple shooting in New Jersey late Sunday.
Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray says the gunfire erupted in front of a bodega on South 14th Street in Newark around 9:30 p.m.
Laniay Griffin was killed, while a 15-year girl and a 16-year-old boy were wounded. Their names have not been released, but the boy's mother identified him as Jamar Robinson.
Police say it appears two suspects walked up to the victims while they sat on a stoop in front of the store and opened fire at close range.
Griffin was shot twice and collapsed near the scene.
The motive is unknown, and no arrests have been made.
Police are hoping a nearby surveillance camera caught the crime on tape.
There is a $5,000 reward being offered by the Essex County Sheriff's Crimestoppers Program.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, shooting, teen, new jersey news
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes 49 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 51 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos