New Jersey News
Teen's Seaside Heights chairlift fall caught on video
SEASIDE HEIGHTS -- A New Jersey teenager said Monday she "freaked out" when her chairlift ride high above a beach stopped as a thunderstorm approached - and that's why she jumped.
Melanie Rossomando of Springfield told News12 New Jersey she decided to jump rather than risk being hit by lightning as she celebrated her 17th birthday Saturday at the Casino Pier amusement park.
A video posted to YouTube shows the girl kicking off her shoes and jumping off the Sky Ride as dark clouds and heavy winds roll in. It doesn't, however, show her landing on the beach.
"In my mind I was like, I'm either getting struck by lightning or I'm breaking a leg maybe," Rossomando said.
News12 said the girl was bruised but otherwise uninjured. It is unclear how far she fell.
"I'm not a calm person," Rossomando said. "I'm really not. I freaked out. You can hear in the video I was screaming bloody murder."
The operators of the Casino Pier said the chair ride was in standby mode and no new passengers were being allowed on when the power went out. They said staff, following emergency procedures, evacuated the remaining riders and that they didn't know a passenger had jumped off until they saw the video Sunday.
The chairlift takes riders above the beach and boardwalk, offering cool ocean breezes and views of MTV's "Jersey Shore" house, among other things.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, seaside heights, jersey shore, new jersey news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos