New Jersey News
Teen's Seaside Heights chairlift fall caught on video
SEASIDE HEIGHTS -- A New Jersey teenager said Monday she "freaked out" when her chairlift ride high above a beach stopped as a thunderstorm approached - and that's why she jumped.
Melanie Rossomando of Springfield told News12 New Jersey she decided to jump rather than risk being hit by lightning as she celebrated her 17th birthday Saturday at the Casino Pier amusement park.
A video posted to YouTube shows the girl kicking off her shoes and jumping off the Sky Ride as dark clouds and heavy winds roll in. It doesn't, however, show her landing on the beach.
"In my mind I was like, I'm either getting struck by lightning or I'm breaking a leg maybe," Rossomando said.
News12 said the girl was bruised but otherwise uninjured. It is unclear how far she fell.
"I'm not a calm person," Rossomando said. "I'm really not. I freaked out. You can hear in the video I was screaming bloody murder."
The operators of the Casino Pier said the chair ride was in standby mode and no new passengers were being allowed on when the power went out. They said staff, following emergency procedures, evacuated the remaining riders and that they didn't know a passenger had jumped off until they saw the video Sunday.
The chairlift takes riders above the beach and boardwalk, offering cool ocean breezes and views of MTV's "Jersey Shore" house, among other things.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, seaside heights, jersey shore, new jersey news
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident 23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- A-Rod sells home and makes $15 Million profit
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- Parts of Saw Mill Parkway remain closed due...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos