New Jersey News
2 soldiers from New Jersey killed in Afghanistan
TRENTON -- The Defense Department says two soldiers from New Jersey have died in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista, a 22-year-old Kinnelon resident, died Sunday in Zharay - part of the Kandahar province - when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire. Batista was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 321st Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
Batista's death came four days after Staff Sgt. Raul Guerra, a 37-year-old Union City resident, died in Spin Boldak. A cause of death was not disclosed for Guerra, who was assigned to the 502nd Military Intelligence Battalion, 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.
Both deaths were announced Monday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, afghanistan, soldier killed, new jersey news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado 43 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Investigation follows police shooting of student 17 min ago
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Rally held after West Village hate crime murder
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Lee Goldberg explains Oklahoma's tornado... 43 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 51 people confirmed dead in Okla. tornado
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Muggy
7 min ago
- Final four dance in 'Dancing with the...
15 min ago