New Jersey News
2 soldiers from New Jersey killed in Afghanistan
TRENTON -- The Defense Department says two soldiers from New Jersey have died in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista, a 22-year-old Kinnelon resident, died Sunday in Zharay - part of the Kandahar province - when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire. Batista was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 321st Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
Batista's death came four days after Staff Sgt. Raul Guerra, a 37-year-old Union City resident, died in Spin Boldak. A cause of death was not disclosed for Guerra, who was assigned to the 502nd Military Intelligence Battalion, 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.
Both deaths were announced Monday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, afghanistan, soldier killed, new jersey news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- NYC 's smoking ban to include e-cigarettes 16 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos