New Jersey News
2 soldiers from New Jersey killed in Afghanistan
TRENTON -- The Defense Department says two soldiers from New Jersey have died in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista, a 22-year-old Kinnelon resident, died Sunday in Zharay - part of the Kandahar province - when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire. Batista was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 321st Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
Batista's death came four days after Staff Sgt. Raul Guerra, a 37-year-old Union City resident, died in Spin Boldak. A cause of death was not disclosed for Guerra, who was assigned to the 502nd Military Intelligence Battalion, 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.
Both deaths were announced Monday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, afghanistan, soldier killed, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 15 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 7 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
7 min ago