New Jersey News
2 soldiers from New Jersey killed in Afghanistan
TRENTON -- The Defense Department says two soldiers from New Jersey have died in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista, a 22-year-old Kinnelon resident, died Sunday in Zharay - part of the Kandahar province - when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire. Batista was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 321st Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.
Batista's death came four days after Staff Sgt. Raul Guerra, a 37-year-old Union City resident, died in Spin Boldak. A cause of death was not disclosed for Guerra, who was assigned to the 502nd Military Intelligence Battalion, 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.
Both deaths were announced Monday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, afghanistan, soldier killed, new jersey news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 47 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos