New Jersey News
New Jersey accident used in red-light stop campaign
ROSELLE PARK, New Jersey (WABC) -- Video of a horrific traffic collision caught by red-light safety cameras in Roselle Park, N.J., is being released on YouTube to raise awareness of the dangerous consequences of what happens when drivers fail to stop on red.
The video, features a vehicle traveling at a high speed, running a red light and T-boning another vehicle, causing it to spin out of control at Locust Street and Westfield Avenue in Roselle Park. The accident happened on June 29th.
"I want people to realize what can happen when someone runs a red-light," said Chief Paul Morrison, "By showing this video, we hope people will realize running red-lights can have tragic consequences. Our camera program is reducing the number of red-light running violations, but we still need to reach more people. It's a matter of life and death to stop on red."
Roselle Park implemented its red-light safety camera program in May 2011. Data shows improvement in dangerous driving.
Since the program's start, red-light running violations have decreased 47% at this intersection. However, as the video shows drivers remain at risk.
CAUTION VIDEO CAN BE ALARMING
LINK: WATCH THE VIDEO
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Connecticut, NTSB officials to tour train crash site 46 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million 46 min ago
- Cops investigating after Hofstra student killed 16 min ago
- Ramarley Graham's parents to join rally in Harlem 9 min ago
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos