New Jersey News
Suspect arrested in Jersey City cab shooting
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Police in Jersey City have announced the arrest of a man in connection with the shooting of a cab driver.
James Purcell, 21, turned himself in to a police precinct earlier Thursday, asking police why they were looking for him.
Purcell was wanted for questioning in the shooting of taxi driver Maged Rizkallah, earlier this week.
Police say Purcell did not pay his fare of $12.50 to the cab driver, and argument started, and the suspect allegedly shot the victim twice before climbing out of the windows and running away.
According to police Purcell's family saw surveillance video of him on WABC-TV and urged him to turn himself in.
Charges against Purcell include attempted murder, aggravated assault, unlawful possession of a weapon and endangering an injured person. He was arraigned this afternoon and is being held on $400,000 cash bail.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, taxi, shooting, new jersey news
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service 45 min ago
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term 43 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013