New Jersey News
2 teens due in court in fatal shooting of Newark cabbie
NEWARK (WABC) -- Two teenagers accused in the fatal shooting of a cab driver in Newark are due in court Tuesday.
Officers were responding to a report of a multi-vehicle accident in the predawn hours of July 7 when they found 49-year-old Rochenel Guerrier, of Irvington, shot to death in his cab.
Last Wednesday, 19-year-old Jeshon Johnson was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service. Alchane Mayes, 18, was arrested Friday by detectives from the Essex County Prosecutor's Office Homicide/Major Crimes Task Force.
"These arrests should send out a clear message to those who choose to embrace the criminal element that the police department and its partners will do everything within our powers to apprehend and assist in the prosecution of those who insist on criminal activity," Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio said. "Removing these dangerous criminals from our streets while assuring the safety of our citizens was the top priority of all the agencies involved."
Mayes and Johnson are charged with robbery, felony murder, conspiracy and weapons offenses. They are both being held on $1 million bail at the Essex County Correctional Facility in Newark.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cab drivers, murder, taxi, new jersey news
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer this...
50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos