New Jersey News
2 teens due in court in fatal shooting of Newark cabbie
NEWARK (WABC) -- Two teenagers accused in the fatal shooting of a cab driver in Newark are due in court Tuesday.
Officers were responding to a report of a multi-vehicle accident in the predawn hours of July 7 when they found 49-year-old Rochenel Guerrier, of Irvington, shot to death in his cab.
Last Wednesday, 19-year-old Jeshon Johnson was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service. Alchane Mayes, 18, was arrested Friday by detectives from the Essex County Prosecutor's Office Homicide/Major Crimes Task Force.
"These arrests should send out a clear message to those who choose to embrace the criminal element that the police department and its partners will do everything within our powers to apprehend and assist in the prosecution of those who insist on criminal activity," Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio said. "Removing these dangerous criminals from our streets while assuring the safety of our citizens was the top priority of all the agencies involved."
Mayes and Johnson are charged with robbery, felony murder, conspiracy and weapons offenses. They are both being held on $1 million bail at the Essex County Correctional Facility in Newark.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cab drivers, murder, taxi, new jersey news
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green