New Jersey News
2 women face charges in death of starving girl
NEWARK -- Two New Jersey women will be arraigned on murder charges in the case of an 8-year-old girl found dead of severe malnutrition and an untreated fracture in her Irvington home.
The child's mother, Venette Ovilde, also known as Krisla Rezireksyon, and her roommate, Myriam Janvier (jan-VIH'-ay), are due in court Tuesday.
Authorities say Christiana Glenn died in May 2011 of severe malnutrition and an untreated fracture. Her injured and emaciated younger siblings were taken from the home alive.
Prosecutors allege the women starved the children, chained them to radiators and didn't seek medical treatment for their fractures. The pair previously pleaded not guilty to lesser charges.
The case lead to a shakeup at the state's child abuse hotline. An investigation revealed a call concerning the family had been mishandled.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, child death, new jersey news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos