New Jersey News
Child dies after sand tunnel collapse in Long Branch
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- A 12-year-old boy has died in a New Jersey hospital after a sand tunnel collapsed on top of him.
The boy, identified by family friends as Ezra Cornman was digging the tunnel with his brother on the beach when the incident happened in Long Branch around 3:20 p.m. Tuesday.
A police spokesman said the tunnel ran for about six feet and was about two to three feet deep.
The boy's mother called 911 while lifeguards dug him out and performed CPR.
Details on the boy's injuries were not disclosed, but authorities say he regained consciousness after being taken to Monmouth Medical Center. He died Wednesday afternoon.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news, lucy yang
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 36 min ago
- Brownsville hit and run accident kills pedestrian 19 min ago
- Long Island man charged with shooting wife in domestic dispute 7 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
30 min ago