New Jersey News
Child dies after sand tunnel collapse in Long Branch
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- A 12-year-old boy has died in a New Jersey hospital after a sand tunnel collapsed on top of him.
The boy, identified by family friends as Ezra Cornman was digging the tunnel with his brother on the beach when the incident happened in Long Branch around 3:20 p.m. Tuesday.
A police spokesman said the tunnel ran for about six feet and was about two to three feet deep.
The boy's mother called 911 while lifeguards dug him out and performed CPR.
Details on the boy's injuries were not disclosed, but authorities say he regained consciousness after being taken to Monmouth Medical Center. He died Wednesday afternoon.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
21 min ago