New Jersey News
Child dies after sand tunnel collapse in Long Branch
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- A 12-year-old boy has died in a New Jersey hospital after a sand tunnel collapsed on top of him.
The boy, identified by family friends as Ezra Cornman was digging the tunnel with his brother on the beach when the incident happened in Long Branch around 3:20 p.m. Tuesday.
A police spokesman said the tunnel ran for about six feet and was about two to three feet deep.
The boy's mother called 911 while lifeguards dug him out and performed CPR.
Details on the boy's injuries were not disclosed, but authorities say he regained consciousness after being taken to Monmouth Medical Center. He died Wednesday afternoon.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
9 min ago