New Jersey News
Child dies after sand tunnel collapse in Long Branch
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- A 12-year-old boy has died in a New Jersey hospital after a sand tunnel collapsed on top of him.
The boy, identified by family friends as Ezra Cornman was digging the tunnel with his brother on the beach when the incident happened in Long Branch around 3:20 p.m. Tuesday.
A police spokesman said the tunnel ran for about six feet and was about two to three feet deep.
The boy's mother called 911 while lifeguards dug him out and performed CPR.
Details on the boy's injuries were not disclosed, but authorities say he regained consciousness after being taken to Monmouth Medical Center. He died Wednesday afternoon.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon 17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile 37 min ago