New Jersey News
4 children among 5 killed in Newark fire
NEWARK (WABC) -- A fast-moving fire claimed five lives, four of them children, in Newark, New Jersey overnight Friday, officials said.
The 3-alarm blaze broke out a vacant building on Brookdale Avenue in Newark just after 1:30 a.m. The flames quickly spread, sweeping through 4 buildings, leaving 5 people, including 4 children and one adult dead. Two families are suffering.
"The arson squad is investigating," Newark City Manager Julien Neals said.
The fire started at 1:41 a.m. at 31 Brookdale, but quickly jumped to the multi-family homes on either side as families raced to save each other.
"I was ringing bells and banging on doors to let them know that the house was on fire," resident Beverly Ford said. "It just shot straight on out and just came straight through my apartment."
"We had to break the gate to get out...we got out and the guy is hollering my kids, my kids," Cynthia Coleman said.
Tyfees Jackson watched in horror as his neighbors screamed 2 of their 4 children were still inside.
"The mother and father came out with 2 kids he said he left 2 upstairs," Jackson said.
Ricky Taylor had gotten his family out and went back for his neighbor's kids.
"I ran back in but the smoke was too thick," he said.
31 had been boarded up recently after numerous complaints of squatters and illegal activity inside, which Councilman Ron Rice says the city will address.
"Absentee landlords have to be held accountable," he said.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Four of the victims have been identified: 2-year old Javena Joseph, 3-year old Javens Joseph, 5-year old Angela Williams, and 17-year old Nazir Blackstone.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, fire, deadly fire, new jersey news
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 25 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- India demands apology for diplomat arrest in Manhattan 20 min ago
- Baruch frat involved in hazing death gets lifetime ban 15 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300