New Jersey News
1 dead in police shooting outside Beachwood bar
BEACHWOOD (WABC) -- Authorities say a police officer shot and killed an armed man outside a southern New Jersey bar.
The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office says Beachwood Police Sgt. Bruce Harris was on patrol when he spotted a man making a disturbance in the High Velocity Sports Bar parking lot late Thursday.
The prosecutor's office says the officer saw that 52-year-old Mark Tanouye was armed with a small-caliber handgun.
Authorities say Harris fired once, killing the Beachwood resident after Tanouye ignored repeated commands to drop the weapon.
Harris has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation, which is routine after a police shooting.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, police shooting, new jersey news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 37 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 24 min ago