New Jersey News
Scare at Newark Airport after suspicious package found
NEWARK (WABC) -- Authorities evacuated a portion of Newark Airport Saturday after a report that a brick of C4 explosives was found in a returned rental car.
It turned out to be a training device that looked like a real bomb.
The device was left inside the car by a salesman who works for I Robot, a company that develops robots to disarm bombs.
He had been planning to use it for a sales demonstration.
It was found by a worker cleaning the car at the Budget Rental Car building.
The discovery prompted evacuations of of the Budget building and parking lot, as well as the nearby Dollar Rental Company.
The Port Authority also evacuated a large area of the airport, and the Air Train was suspended.
After dropping off the car at the Budget building, the man boarded a flight to Boston.
Law enforcement officials met him when the plane landed at Logan Airport.
After speaking with the man, and representatives for the company, the training device was deemed safe.
All airport operations were back to normal as of 4:10 p.m.
But the scare caused delays for passengers trying to return their vehicles before catching flights.
"It's a little unnerving. Despite some of the craziness, you're just trying to take care of your own situation," said traveller Jon Montgomery.
"You never want to hear about a suspicious package at any location, let alone one where you might find yourself."
Meanwhile, Massachusetts state police say they are working with various federal agents who are questioning the United Airlines passenger who left the car behind.
Authorities did not identify the man because he has not been charged with a crime.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, evacuation, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 8 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary 8 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
45 min ago