New Jersey News
Scare at Newark Airport after suspicious package found
NEWARK (WABC) -- Authorities evacuated a portion of Newark Airport Saturday after a report that a brick of C4 explosives was found in a returned rental car.
It turned out to be a training device that looked like a real bomb.
The device was left inside the car by a salesman who works for I Robot, a company that develops robots to disarm bombs.
He had been planning to use it for a sales demonstration.
It was found by a worker cleaning the car at the Budget Rental Car building.
The discovery prompted evacuations of of the Budget building and parking lot, as well as the nearby Dollar Rental Company.
The Port Authority also evacuated a large area of the airport, and the Air Train was suspended.
After dropping off the car at the Budget building, the man boarded a flight to Boston.
Law enforcement officials met him when the plane landed at Logan Airport.
After speaking with the man, and representatives for the company, the training device was deemed safe.
All airport operations were back to normal as of 4:10 p.m.
But the scare caused delays for passengers trying to return their vehicles before catching flights.
"It's a little unnerving. Despite some of the craziness, you're just trying to take care of your own situation," said traveller Jon Montgomery.
"You never want to hear about a suspicious package at any location, let alone one where you might find yourself."
Meanwhile, Massachusetts state police say they are working with various federal agents who are questioning the United Airlines passenger who left the car behind.
Authorities did not identify the man because he has not been charged with a crime.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, evacuation, new jersey news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 5 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Aaron Hernandez' home searched in murder investigation
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites 30 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places 30 min ago
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench