New Jersey News
Corrections Officer returns fire on carjacking suspect; Suspect dies
NEWARK (WABC) -- A violent night in Newark after a carjacking involving an off-duty corrections officer ends with the suspect dead.
Gunshots were heard from an Eyewitness News crew as early as 4:30 this morning.
According to authorities the alleged carjacker approached the unidentified Corrections Officer near the intersection of 7th street and 14th avenue in Newark shortly after 11:00 p.m.
The suspect allegedly shot at the off-duty officer first who then returned fire. The suspect died on the street.
A family member of the suspect says the family wants to know exactly what happened. That person says the victim is 20-years-old and has family in the hour.
The Corrections Officer is at the hospital and is expected to survive.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, carjacking, newark, new jersey news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut